Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pongo and Babe, adopted brothers

This is a look back to 2009. I rescued Pongo, a small, sickly black-and-white kitten, in July 2009. Strangely enough, it was on the day I also found a lost dog who had nearly died from heat stroke and dehydration (and Pongo was himself badly dehydrated--it was a very hot day). I found the owner of the dog 3 days later, and Pongo spent a week in the hospital recovering.

Then Pongo became the favorite cat in the office. Everyone loved him and was giving him loving licks--Elvis, the long-haired brown tabby, Nana, the white calico, and Gracie, the long-haired calico.

Elvis and Gracie moved to the USA, but when I got back, every night I would hear the plaintive cry of a young cat over by the Dining Hall on campus. It turns out it was the little rascal, Babe, hiding behind the vending machines. I brought Babe inside (after getting him dewormed and vaccinated) and, after about a day of sizing each other up, Pongo and Babe decided they loved each other. Perhaps they recognized in each other feelings of abandonment and rescue.

Being a couple months older, Pongo was the boss, even as Babe outgrew him in size and strength. If Pongo happened to be losing in a wrestling match, he would grab Babe's big ears and bite just hard enough to make Babe give in. 

Nana was the motherly (adopted mother) boss of the two little boys, but Nana found a family in October 2009. So Pongo and Babe spent even more time together once Nana was no longer around to mother them.

They became inseparable.

But, unfortunately, separate them I did, when Pongo was adopted into a family near campus. I had hoped they could take them both, but it's a large enough family in small enough house to make two cats impossible. I know Pongo is loved in that family and has become a regular member, but Babe misses him a lot. So Babe has taught me to play like a cat in order to make up for that--a bit anyway, as he still misses Babe so much.

I have to say repeatedly how these two little guys are the most affectionate and playful cats I have ever kept. 


Pongo on left, Babe on right, together

No comments:

Post a Comment

SATOYA BOSHU NET

いつでも里親募集中

緊急災害時動物救援本部

緊急災害時動物救援本部

Tohoku Dog and Cat Rescue

Babe the amazing fetching cat!

RETURN TO FRONT

RETURN TO FRONT
Go back to the front page of We are Feral Cats by clicking on dreaming Elvis.