Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Maya Girl in her new home

I'm very happy to report that Maya Girl has transitioned very well into being a 'house cat'. This is very good for a cat who had to live outside on the university campus for the first 3.5 years of her life.

Maya Girl also taught me something about love and relationships. During the first year of her life she was nearly inseparable from her brother Tiger Boy. Actually, I think Maya Girl and Tiger Boy were born in separate litters to related mothers. She was physically behind Tiger Boy in her development. But they would always share sleeping quarters together, and Maya Girl always found a way to one of the food bowls with Tiger Boy in front of her.

When Tiger Boy was killed by a car out on a busy street near the east gate of campus, Maya Girl was forlorn for almost a month. I mean, beside herself with grief. She would go to the east gate every night and cry for hours, hoping to call Tiger Boy back. She stopped eating most of her food for three weeks and lost a lot of weight. I would go visit her everyday and talk to hear. I would hold her and pet her and tell her that we both missed Tiger Boy. She started eating again, and some students would come and visit her several times a week. Something she really enjoyed. She always liked being held and stroked.  

I like to think that Tiger Boy is in that part of heaven for cats, his soul at ease, looking down, knowing that his little adopted sister has found a new life. I'm sure Maya Girl still misses you Tiger Boy. I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SATOYA BOSHU NET

いつでも里親募集中

緊急災害時動物救援本部

緊急災害時動物救援本部

Tohoku Dog and Cat Rescue

Babe the amazing fetching cat!

RETURN TO FRONT

RETURN TO FRONT
Go back to the front page of We are Feral Cats by clicking on dreaming Elvis.